so here is one positive aspect of having cystic fibrosis related diabetes, it allows me to know when I have an infection, even before I have the usual CF symptoms (short of breath, dark mucus, increased cough, feeling lathargic). Diabetes, blood sugars, if they're low and in normal range, allowing me to take less insulin, and waking up fasting at low numbers, also tells me when my infection has cleared, without needing a blood test to know that my white blood cell count is better.
Ladies and gentlemen, my blood sugars are incredibly normal in months! It's great, I'm waking up at 5.1mmol fasting in the morning, AND get this, I don't even need insulin for my breakfast! It is great. I haven't been able to eat breakfast without insulin since...July? One less needle poke! hey I'll take the breaks where I can get them! Small victories are the key. Seems like these orals have really helped....oh also other good news, I was able to squeeze in three works out last week despite being super busy. My oxygen levels have gotten up to 96 resting! (woah huge news, have not been that since February?) pays to keep working out!
Attention fellow CF'ers
now here's the problem, which i'm posing to all other CF'ers out there....I am having the worst time with my asthmatic componant. I have a dry whistly cough. I am sometimes short of breath, which I attribute to the asthma. I have already upped my pulmicort to the maximum (4 puffs morning and night, and 2 in the afternoon) I really want to keep decreasing my prednisone, which is probably why I am having the increased symptoms of asthma since prednisone helps with that...but I was just wondering is there anything that you guys use, any other puffers, or even natural things to help with asthma??? It is sooo annoying now that I have this infection under control, only to have to combat inflammed airways because of asthma. You would think asthma would be cured by now...it seems so silly.
Anyways so if anyone has an suggestions, pllleeease comment on my blog. I am in desperate need, and am going to clinic tomorrow and am writing down a list of possible puffers/drugs to go on for asthma so I can keep decreasing this awful prednisone.
2 comments:
I know that a lot of other CFer truly believe in getting there allergies under control in order to control their asthma. Maybe you can get an allergy test or try some OTC allergy medicine?
Ronnie
hmm thats a good suggestion, because it seems to only have started affecting me in the last two weeks with fall weather...maybe fall allergies? i'll talk to them about it tomorrow at clinic. thanks ronnie.
Post a Comment