I will post updates here throughout the day:
1:00 am: Hattie gets the call!
2:00 am: Hattie and her mom are transferred to TGH from St. Mikes via ambulance. Hattie's mom tells me that the paramedics were both from Scarborough and happened to be dropping off a patient at St. Mikes. In typical Dunstan style, since they hadn't had a break all night, H's mom offered them some of their Grandma's treats!
8:25 am: Lungs will be arriving in 40 minutes. Fellow said they are good "quite good". Hattie will be going into surgery VERY soon.
10:00 am: Hattie is wheeled in surgery. Has a few last moments with her Mom, Dad and older brother and sees a fellow CFer (post tx and doing Fabulous) along the way! All good signs. Hattie tried to contact her younger bro before she was wheeled in, but he is unfortunately in the sticks and hard to reach!
Hattie is also a VERY lucky girl, Dr. Shaf Keshavjee--the top dog--will be performing her surgery. He is a brilliant man that pioneered the Ex-Vivo system.
12:15 pm: Message from her older brother: "The nurse came out now, and everything is going how it should and smoothly."
The nurse said they estimate that the surgery should be complete by around 5 pm, if all continues to go as planned and they do not need to use the heart-lung machine.
Her old lungs seem to be coming out easily since she does not have a lot of lesions and scar tissue. The new lungs have not been transplanted yet.
3:13 pm: Out with the old and in with the new! Update from H's Family: "Nurse just came out to tell us all continues to go well. Now starting second lung. Expecting it will be another 1.5 hours." We're in the final stretch!
3:44 pm: Transplant COMPLETE! The surgeon just informed H's family that the lungs are transplanted. Now she will be stitched up (yeah, that sounds brutal--but it's true!) and sent up to ICU where she will start her recovery. Her fam jam should be able to see her in the next hour. The doctors are not sure if they will wake her up tonight or tomorrow, but I'm sure she is feeling all the positive vibes! Fabulous job H!
- Lindsay
16 comments:
Just heard you're getting wheeled in! They're prob knocking you out as we speak! Saying a prayer that all goes well woman! :)
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You go girl!!!! We are so pulling for you over here in Bolton!!!! Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Christine Cooper & Meg Mucignat
What a day. It is so scary yet exciting at the same time. Our whole family is praying for you and thinking about you non-stop. We even have a guy in Romania that is doing all the praying on that side of the world to. Patty xx
I will continue to think of Hattie. I know everything will go smooth and I hope for nothing but a easy rcovery.
Colleen
Great news! I'm so happy for her and thankful for your updates Lindsay.
This is great news for Hattie! Bless the donor & their family too... :)
Its gonna be such a great feeling for her to wake up and have no more cf infested lungs. She will once again be able to take deep breaths :)
I can't believe you had your transplant already! Looks like Status 3 did the trick! I am thinking of you and hoping that you have a smooth recovery!
All the best,
Sandy
Great news for Hattie and the Dunstan family. Sounds as though everything is going according to plan, our thoughts and prayers are with you all and with the donor's family.
Hattie, we are thinking of you and sending positive vibes your way. You are going to rock this in typical Hattie style! Big Hug to Mom and Dad too! Love Jan
Congratulations Hattie!!! Just Fabulous news. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Brenda & Ashley Reid
What a long list of angels hovering around Toronto General. The miracle has finally happened. We are so very, very thankful!
Oh Hattie! We've been thinking of you all day, saying prayers, and so glad to know you're through this operation. Oh what adventures you are having!
xoxoox the norry's
You have such strength and courage, Hattie. Our prayers are for healing and recovery. Love to you and your family.
Hattie! We were so happy to get the initial happy news and all of the positive updates! I like to think that somehow, somewhere Sarah was watching over you to ensure that everything went smoothly. Speedy recovery!
Love Lisa, Bruce & Sarah
Such great news and bless Lindsay for all the updates. I keep checking. Such great news to hear that you are breathing on your own. Cheers and happy dances!
I found your page when my uncle Herb Norry (father of Margaret who is a friend of your mother) sent me a link to your blog. He thought I would appreciate your attitude. I am a two time breast cancer survivor who is involved in several support groups and doing all I can to assist others.
Uncle Herb sent me an update about your lungs. I was so happy to get the news and have asked friends to put you on their prayer lists. I know the power of positive thoughts wrapping around you. I do reiki, therapeutic touch, IET etc. and can send you some long distance energy if you would like.
Keep up the great work. Your spunk reminds me of a young girl your age who successfully fought leukemia 3 times and finally had a stem cell transplant. She did the survivor lap at the Relay for Life 2 years ago (barely home from hospital and in a wheelchair) but full of the same joie de vivre that you exhibit.
Gentle hugs,
Kaye
Post a Comment