Monday, July 26, 2010

My lips are pink....

I looked in the mirror for the first time in three weeks. My lips are pink, my eye lids are light. Im no longer oxygen deprived. I no longer look sick. Its amazing. Today three weeks ago I got the call for new lungs. The nurse came in to my room back at st. mikes at one in the morning, Karen and said to me Hattie they just called they have your lungs for you, they have lungs for you honey...I woke up groggigly and said to her...noooo...no they dont. Yes yes they do. I then began to cry. I immediatly called my mama and papa and then lindsay. I have lungs! They have lungs for me! After 5 and half weeks on the list and almost 1 week on the rapidly deteriorating list, my lungs had come, now pray that it was not a false alarm . I remember this, but it seems so so so far away now. Everyone over here asks me how long I was waiting for and when I tell them 6 weeks, they say not long at all...and when I think about it, six weeks is not long...but when your living it...6 weeks was hell...especially that last week when I could not breathe, and things kept deteriorating. Anyways so that is the story of what I remember from getting my call.
Today three weeks ago I got the call.
Today I am alive.
Today I am listening to barbados playlist from two years ago, bobbing along looking out the window with the sun shining with tears in my eyes.....Im breathing....no oxygen, pink lips, light eye lids...Im alive...sigh.
Thank you donor, whoever you are, thank you, thank you, thank you....I will do you proud.

13 comments:

Lindsay Bishop said...

Let's get this party started???

Unknown said...

It is so wonderful to read your voice again. haha It sounds like things are back on track.
Your girlfriend Lindsay did a great job keeping us all informed while you were healing. This is a reminder to us all why being a donor is so important. Lots of love Patty xx
ps see you soon :)

Seansjeep said...

This is the greatest blog I have read! I was so scared for ya before TX you were going downhill really fast :( I got tears in my eyes when I read that you got the call, it was the most fantastice news I had heard!
But here ya are now post tx and full of life! You have come down a long road. Hope you are home soon so you can start to enjoy the new lungs :)

Stacey said...

Hattie - I have been following your journey and am so glad that you are feeling stronger and are on the mend! Happy 3 week lungerversary!!!

Stacey
www.confessionscyster.blogspot.com

Megan said...

You're amazing.
These blogs have made me all happy-teary and I'm so so so glad you got your call, that it wasn't a false alarm and that you're on the right side of breathing easy :D
Much love cyster! Xx

P.s. the word verification is very CF-ish - it says 'porti'!!

Marlene said...

What a wonderful, wonderful blog today!!!!!!! So glad to hear you are on the mend!
Love,
Mrs. Hayashi
(your grade 1,2,3 teacher)
ps. reminds me of your wonderful daily journal entries written to soft music at the end of each day so long ago! You always were a great writer!

Aspiemom said...

I'm so happy for you! I'm a fellow CFer and started reading your blog at the time of your tx.

It's great to hear from you and hear how great you're doing!

Unknown said...

Tears in your eyes?!? And everyone's else's sweetie!

Peter said...

My mom and I have been following your progress, it's great to hear how well things are coming along. The beach has been sunny and beautiful, we can't wait to see you there.

Norma Thompson said...

I'm in the Gravenhurst library, with only an hour time slot on the computer. The rest of the folks in the library are wondering why I'm crying and dancing for my hour at the computer. Everyone reading this certainly knows why!!! It's happy dance time!

Unknown said...

We are away on holidays but wouldnt miss your blogs. Hattie your last 2 blogs have been amazing. Glad you are back online and can share your side of the story. Not a dry eye after reading them. Lindsay has done an awesome job keeping us informed. It wont be long now till you will be walking barefoot in the sand on the beach at your cottage. Your mom and dad must be so so happy that those 3 weeks are behind you. Now all your dreams will come true. We all love you and your spirit.
GO Hattie GO :)

Jan Boss said...

Hattie, You do make miracles come true....quite a ride though! Better get a good camera....your going to need it for all the pics that you are going to take in your travels around the world.
Love to you and big hugs to Mom and Dad!

See you soon.

Love
Jan

Alyssa said...

I'm so thrilled for you Hattie!

I've been following your blog and facebook page and I just couldn't be happier for you. You're so amazing and very strong!

Happy 3 week lungaversary! Here's to many many more lungaversaries!