Friday, July 30, 2010

a free woman

#1 Thank you to lindsay. a huge, big, giant, enourmous thank you for keepîng everyone updated and doing such a wooonderful job. Linds is a journalist and writes so beautifully!

#2 PETER! you commented on here. tell me everything about the beach. is the ice cream store still kickin? hows the water? is it sandy, rocky?

As for me this week, has been sooo busy. I now have ALL tubes gone. I am a free woman. Chest tubes are outta here! catheter is outta here and central line is outta here, all thats left is a little peripheral hand IV. I graduated from the high walker to a low walker when walking about, and am using the bathroom, going for walks on my own, getting stronger every day!
I also had my first bronchoschopy this week. it went fine. not bad at all. I got some of the results back and I have a bit of rejection...sigh. they say this is really common though, and so for the nxt three days I am put on a really high dose of steriods. They said I probably have rejction because it took awhile to get the levels right with all my anti rejection drugs. Basically rejection means my body is trying to destory these new forgien lungs, so they have to suppress my immune system. I asked them numerous times, is this common, is this common, and yes it is....so hopefully its just because they were playing around wtih all the rejection pill levels, and these steriods will do the trick. Still feeling good though so thats what is important.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so proud of you Hattie! I have been reading every single world from both you and Lindsay for months. The patients at work have been following along as well, asking about you, mostly since they see the happy tears in our eyes. Congratulations! You are an amazing person.

Peter said...

I've been up a few times this year. The beach has a lot of grass and even small bushes in places. There's a lot more sand in the water than in recent memory. You still have to cross a lot of rocky sections, but when you're on the sand it seems to stretch a lot further. The water was super low at the beginning of the year. The big rocks on the left were completely out of the water. and the first sand bar was actually above water. It's returned to normal since then.

The water's pretty cool, but we've had some absolute scorchers so it's refreshing.

Everyone's excited you're getting better. Take care.

Ashley said...

Ahh Kiddo. Glad you are up and about. I hope Lindsay sent you the message that I told her too!
Rejection is normal within the first year and although I know you like re-assurance - YOU WILL BE FINE!
Can't wait to catch up and talk about your experience.
Keep pushing through, you're almost home FOR GOOD!