Sunday, August 1, 2010

lungs lungs lungs

I didnt grow!!!! I cant believe it. still 5 foot three and a bit...maybe i just feel taller cause i am standing up straighter now...hmmm.

I did 20 minutes on the bike today...no oxygen, no heavy pursed lips breathing, 97 precent oxygen level...sooooo weird, for a whole year ive had to use oxygen when exercising...and ive never been 97 percent oxygen for a few years...it blows my mind. I also did 12 stairs today by myself! haha tiny feats, but compared to two days ago when I could not even do barely one on my own! still using the railings like crazy but getting there!

They say one more week hopefully, then home!
I am still having suuuuch heavy feelings where they cut open my chest and pulled the chest tubes, but ive only had the chest tubes out a few days, and I have to remember that they did cut open my whole entire chest and replace my lungs...so im sure its going to hurt for awhile. 4 weeks tomorrow since surgery! The farther away i get from that date the better!

Unfortunatly becuase of this rejection they put me on a huge dose of steriods through iv so i now have absolutley like no immune system so now we have to watch out for infection. heres hoping i dont get that and can just go to the condo and start getting stronger and stronger and the heavy chest feeling will go away. ive only been on food for a 9 days though....so i would have to say i am making pretty good head way!

As for the amazing cfforcf.com committee of girls. they are working hard and after this long weekend are urging you to drop your empties off to the beer store in bolton on tuesday evening, all the money will be donated to to the CF foundation! they are also looking for more volunteers to help count the empties starting at 5pm on tuesday! so please if you have a free hour or so, they would looove some help!

Hope everyone is enjoying the weather, the cottage is within reach for me! hopefully i;ll get my legs stronger...its these darn thighs, and i;ll be able to go up on a weekend inbetween all the appointments. for the first three months you have to go in for exercise as well as blood work there days a week, which is why we have to stay down in the city, blood work you have to be here super early before your 9 am pills...so its just too far to drive from caledon,but i;ve always wanted to live in toronto, therefore gotta inflate these lungs and get these legs tip top shape so i can start enjoying the city, during the low people times so as to not catch anything...

the nurse said today that she could here breath deeper down in my lungs then yesterday so hopefully all the biking is working and inflating these lungs will just keep going!

5 comments:

Alyssa said...

Wow your making huge strides! Walking up stairs, exercising without oxygen and being at 97% oxygen is awesome.

I hope you get to go home soon! Good luck!

Stacey said...

So so so happy that you may be leaving the hospital soon! It's great that you're getting stronger each day! You've been in my prayers...

Stacey

Unknown said...

Everything is sounding so good now, you deserve that my friend. Wow to finally get to breath in all that oxygen. You are making us all take a min. and remember how lucky we are. I am so happy that things are working out so well. Lots of love Patty xx

Unknown said...

Hi Hattie,
I have been checking in with Grant to see how you are doing....you are in my thoughts. I am so glad to see how well you are doing (even with the setbacks) - you are such a trooper, which I think is half the battle :-)

Stay strong, I am sending positive vibes....love to your mum and dad

Joan Parsons
xxxxxxx

Lindsay Bishop said...

Yay Hatts! You're doing amazing. I tell you this anyway, but I thought I'd reaffirm how I feel by posting this on your blog.

P.S. The fact that you didn't grow just took away my hope a little... I will not lie, this was on my "benefits of transplant" list, beside "breathing".