I have a cystic sista best friend. My boyfriend calls her my ghost best friend, because since we can't ever hang out in person, he has yet to meet one of my closest friends. Whenever I get a text, my mom always says is that (enter boyfriends name) or is that (enter cystic sisters) name. We text and talk on msn all the time.
Due to the fact that she also has CF we can't hang out in person, even though we both have cottages near each other and live near each other! major bummer.
We can't hang out in case I pass a bug/bacteria that is growing in my lungs, that I tolerate fine, and if I were to pass it to her, her lungs might be like "hey what the heck is this" and react way different then mine, and she might get more infections, more IV's...ya da ya da ya da or vice versa!
It's nice to have someone who your super close to, who is going through the same thing. We became extra close when she was hospitalized last fall. We talk about everything, and give eachother advice. Right now I'm pushing her to start exercising. (if your reading this girl, get on the bike! haha) It's funny because a few months ago, she was the one pushing me to start exercising. She is an inspiration. She was in the hospital for awhile, and on IV antibiotics for 12 weeks and on oxygen 24/7. She came back though, and is better then ever! She got off oxygen, and is doing awesome. She also went for a lung assessment this summer. It was good, because I went first and was able to tell her all about the week, the good the bad and the ugly of it.
I made us friendship necklaces for us to wear at our lung transplant assessment weeks. I thought I had lost mine, which is the reason for this post, because I found it up at my cottage this weekend, phew! I am wearing it as we speak.
It's so nice having someone who knows what it's like to be out of breath when your sick or get dressed to quick in the morning and you have to catch your breath...I tried explaining it to a friend (a non CF friend) and she just could not grasp it. She could not imagine what it was like, I told her to try breathing through a straw while she did everything and thats why it's like for me to do things. Or notice something that makes her out of breath, and multiply that by five and that's what it would be like for me to do something? I think? iI mean it's weird to think about getting out of breath reaching for a suit case, or getting dressed some mornings for people without CF.
It really really irks me, that we CFers not only have to deal with this horrible disease...but to top it off our support people who know us so well and can understand more then anyone else what we're going through, other CF people....and we cannot even hang out with each other due to cross infection. Thank goodness for the internet. It has opened up a whole range of opportunities. Who knew that one of my closest friends would be via the internet, or that I could chat with other CF people and get advice through facebook groups and other CF blogs...gesh it is such a wonder what the internet has allowed us to do. I am having my first dinner party for 6, tomorrow night in my band new apartment! I spent all tonight washing up my dishes and making a grocery list...I wish my cystic sista could come over for dinner too! Anyways that's my rant for tonight! boo to CF bugs and not being able to hang out with other CFers...yay to internet and allowing us to still talk to each other!
2 comments:
Awww thanks Hatts, that is such a nice post. Also makes me sad too, I wish we could hang--not fair at all! I wear my necklace all the time and I wore it all weekend--Hattitude has been all around the GTA. Good luck with your first dinner party!
- From your "ghost friend"
I hope the dinner party goes well!
I know what it's like to try and explain CF to non-CF people, and as much as I love my friends to bits, they just don't get it, and I've given up explaining!
Yep, blogs and online CF groups are practically a sanity saver! Xx
Post a Comment