well 45 minutes on the treadmill...maybe not such a good idea at eleven at night...endorphins are flyin' through my body!
some people are still a bit confused as to what is going on.
I'm not on the transplant list. I'm not waiting for a brand new spanking set of lungs from a generous gift from someone else. I'm just getting assessed so that when the day comes everything will be ready, since over the last few years, and espeically this year, my health has slowly declined significantly.
I will be hearing from the doctors in three weeks as to whether they think I need to be on the list now or whether I can keep with the lungs I got, until I really need some new ones.
Wouldn't it be nice if there was a department store where we all could go pick out a new pair of lungs to go with my new purple maxi dress and gold vintage gladiator sandals? I would want my new lungs the colour of the Barbados sea please.
Someone asked me the other week, whether there would be any reason why I wouldn't go through with the transplant...
To a lot of people it's just like well "why wouldn't you get it"...I have read from a few other sites about other CF people not wanting to get lung transplants...I'm not sure of their reasoning, but I can think of a few reasons why someone would not want to put themselves through it...
First of all it's not a cure...it's a treatment. and if it doesn't work, then you've just spent the last year of your life (roughly if your waiting that long) going down to clinic three times a week for rehab (building your muscles up for the operation), not being able to leave the area of 2 1/2 hours and going to multiple doctor appts, more tests, more anxiety...
Then after the operation, come all the rejections and infections that come post tx...your trading in one set of problems for a whole new set and it's not even a for sure thing...so yes I understand why some people would not want to give up the time they have left, to be going to dr's appts and for more problems after tx for not even a sure thing...but for me...that was never an option.
I never thought about not getting a lung transplant. There are a ton of reasons why some people would just not want to go through all that...but for me, I thrive off hard work, I like a challenge...and I love life...so if it comes right down to it. Bring it on modern medicine. I'm ready.
2 comments:
That's a great attitude! I have said in the past that I would NEVER get a lung transplant, as I've gotten older, I've softened my stance to "I would if my future wife or kids asked me to". Who knows what I'll come up with next?
The most common response I hear is "it's trading in one set of problems for another".
Ronnie
Sweetie we are all rooting for ya!
Post a Comment