okay so for the past couple days I've had discomfort in my lower left lungs, all part of the disease I guess, mucus plugs, etc. and just basically these lungs tellin' me it's time for some stand ins!
But yesterday something changed, and if you pushed on my one side, I would cry out in pain, and if I coughed or did anything, I was in SOOO much pain. It was honestly soo bad, such pain, scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the worst pain imaginable, it was an 8. So they thought I might have a fractured rib. (are you kidding me...soo did not need that!) Since I'm on such a high steroid dose, I am border line osteoporosis, my bones are more brittle from this drug, I've been getting chest percussion done twice a day on me for the past two weeks, pounding my lungs to loosen the thick sticky mucus , making it easier to cough up, I've also been coughing up a storm after these sessions, they've really been working! all these factors though contribute to fractured ribs! So I might have had a fracture rib or two and was put on tylenol 2's for the pain.
Anyways so I went to bed last night, after the pain was under control and I was able to do a bit of physio to keep the mucus clearing, I laid perfectly still ALL night, even to the point where some of my body parts got pins and needles in them, haha, but I woke up to almost no pain! scale of 1 to 10...a definite 1, slight discomfort. Good news, no fractured rib, just incredibly sore muscles, and mucus plugs and yes a little of warning from these lungs saying, we're ready to leave you now haha we're sore and tired, and done.
Tonight I have a bit of pain under my chest, if I hold it tight with a pillow against it while I cough, it's tolerable. Half hour and then I can take some more pain meds.....
I am feeling better though on the whole. More energy, less weak, getting stable so I hope I am able to go home next week...although with this whole rib pain fiasco who knows!
I also got told on Friday (it's been a whirlwind 24 hours) that I should mentally prepare myself for my new lungs to come quicker then 3 months....I was thinking it would take a least 3 months, and I thought that was being generous and quick!....but the dietitian who I was talking with casually over morning weigh in, was like "oh no, status 2 moves quick!" I mean she's like "it still could be 3 months, you never know, but you should totally be prepared mentally for it to be sooner. We had one guy, who was listed, and then 5 days later, he got the call, he called them back and said 'hey this is a bit quick, could I have a few more weeks' haha he was joking of course...sort of. but still, just mentally prepare yourself just in case, cause status 2's do go quick."
Wouldn't it be wicked if I was transplanted in June, recuperated and able to go to the fashion show for CF in August that we've been working on still!
After the initial shock wore off of being told that it could be REAL soon, it is just excitement, because after all who are we kidding...patience has never been my strong suite. In fact it is probably one of my worst qualities...I am not patient at all. so waiting is going to be the toughest part.
Another thing to add to the last 24 hours of news! Never a dull moment in the hospital, my cystic sista (check out her blog by clicking here) decided that she needed an IV tune up! So she came in to hospital on friday! RIGHT down the hall from me! so close yet so far L! I told her copy cating was the biggest form of flattery but really she did not need to show me that she loved me THAT much by getting admitted to hospital herself! haha
She tells me that she is getting a flat screen tv in her room tomorrow...I told her I am too cheap to pay for television and therefore could she skype me in on her webcam so I can watch tv via my room with her. hahah...technology eh? gotta love it! If we can't hang out (due to infection control issues) it's at least comforting knowing she's just a few doors down, and we can skype each other and even watch the same television shows on her fancy new tv via webcam! lucky duck. Sure she moves in to "the hole" and she gets a bigger fridge AND a flat screen..way to steal all the good stuff L! haha
1 comment:
I will steal your food while you are at home. You made it sound so good.
Post a Comment