Monday, March 14, 2011

still here....

I'm still here in the hospital. Seems a lot of us our here. A few of my friends are on the floor too.
It's weird being here this time, when in the atrium I can walk to it by myself, sit down on the chairs without falling, get up out of the chairs without two people grabbing both my arms and hauling me up. Life sucked 8 months ago in here! so glad things are different now. I sit and I'm antsy to go home. Although there were a few days when I had to look up from my hospital bed with squinty eyes and say "can you die from a fever?" I felt AWFUL.

I think the CMV virus ganciclovir (sp) is helping. All my blood work is coming back better and better each day. They say 7 week total of treatment for the CMV virus they are just not sure what percentage will be IV and which will be orals. All I can say is summer is coming, I just want to go swimming and NOT have another picc line in for ANOTHER summer. I finished reading 'She's come undone' by Wally Lamb, pretty good book, sad and all, just when you think things can't get ANY worse...they most certainly do to this poor girl in the book. Her only friend is diagnosed with aids and since he's immunosuppressed too, he then gets the CMV virus and then goes blind...I'm like 'aye aye yai....not something I need to be reading right now!' So I started another book, 'Secret Daughter' VERY good so far. I like it a lot! Reading up a storm in here, as the internet is shotty. At least today I got a picc so I'm able to leave the hospital confounds! Cinema maybe? yes please.
The only other problem now is I have an infection....pseudomonas is back! with attack! BOO
I've been coughing, more sputum etc with this infection. So they started me on IV meds for that. So currently on 2 meds, twice a day.

I have been begging since last thursday to get a picc line in. I was in here 5 days, and 4 of my Peripheral IV's blew....what does this mean you ask? A whole lotta pain and bruising and swolleness and lucky me, hard bumps in the vein afterwards. I'm a hard poke, so getting another IV back in.....not fun. I look down at my arms and they look as if they have been put through a meat grinder. It's awful.

So I broke down in to tears (after looking at my poor pin cushioned, meat ground, purple painted, scarped, raw arms filled with holes) to a transplant clinic nurse, begging for a picc. I just had no where else to put these dumb little peripheral IV's. I'm not used to waiting days even a week for a picc line! Thats gotta be bad on your hand IV since the drugs are so toxic. Yes the ganciclovir has a big toxic sign on the front of it, and the nurses have to wear gloves while handling it...i'm like 'uh, you know thats going DIRECTLY into my body right'....Oy vey.

I've also started ceftaz for the pseudomonas infection. I'm a little bit more nervous about this one...bacteria in the lungs and I'm not a year out yet. wump wump. Not cool.

Alright now that you've just read all that bad news....the good news, the picc line went in swimmingly! Usually it's a disaster! haha and I hopefully get to go home by the middle or end of this week! Hopefully in time for modern family on wednesday night. In here you have to fight for the tv in the lounge area...obviously I win, come on guys, I'm all muscle now, but it's still a bit of a debacle wrestling the remote away from a 75 year old man who just had a liver transplant. haha
kidding....I always ask nice. ha





2 comments:

Seansjeep said...

Im sure they will get those lungs cleaned right out for ya and youll be back on track. Im suprised we were allowed to sit in the lounge. I had visions of when I tried at St Mikes when I was a "newbie" there. SO I have just avoided it.
My brother was telling me a funny story when they were waiting for me to get thru surgery they went up and waited in that lounge. There was an old lady there in a wheelchair, yelling away at the races on the movie Ben Hur. Toooo funny.


Hehehhe see your just as antsy to get out like me :P

Caroline Irvine said...

ahahha, leave that old man alone!