Monday, January 17, 2011

a face of organ donation.

Here are some photos that kind of freak me out...
I don't like thinking of myself as so sick. I don't like thinking of what it was like not to be able to breathe. I don't like thinking about coughing until you throw up. I don't like thinking about the count down until I had to go in for another tune up. I don't like remembering the horror of getting a picc lines placed in.

Fast Forward one year later from when I really started to go down hill...I'm kind of, sort of, most definitely falling head over heels in love..... with breathing. It's so easy. I just walk walk walk everywhere, because I can.


March 2010. Picc Line. Life consisted of sleeping, eating (when I could) coughing up mucus, physio, masking, more sleeping, physio, masking, even more sleeping, physio, masking, and still more sleeping....not much of a life. Drugs Drugs and more Drugs. Thanks scientists for keeping us alive. One week listed. Oxygen concentrator. Noisy, blasted, devil thing.
Medicine cabinet before transplant. Nebulizers, and masking....NO MORE! freedom. 3 weeks after Transplant. July 2010. At a Concert. November 2010. 4 months after double lung transplant. My 23rd surprise birthday party Dec 2010. Best Friends. 7 months after I first signed the dotted line to get new Organs. 5 months after my surgery. January 2011. Living Life. Breathing Easy. 6 months after surgery.
Thumbs up to Organ donation. Saving lives, one (or two) organ at a time.

4 comments:

Stacey said...

You look marvalous! The new lungs really suit you!

Unknown said...

This is such a great post. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Well Hattie you should be very proud of yourself. You have come a long long way and you look terific. 2010 is gone and we are in a new year now and you have so much to look forward to. ENJOY LIFE and dont forget how wonderful your parents are.

Norma Thompson said...

You'll have to take this story to the press. I'd say, 'It's Pic line to Cityline!What a make over show this has the potential to be!
Fantastic.