Saturday, January 1, 2011

2010 a year for land marks "don't give up, the best is yet to come"

2011 is here and I could not be more happy!
I made it. I did it. I'm here. phew. It sure was cuttin' it close at one point there....yikes

I think I can rightfully and most definitely say 2010 was a year living in hell, probably not only for me, but for my family and a good chunk of my friends. Watching from the sidelines as I spiralled down and down into the waiting hands of death was probably not one of the best year for them either? I'm guessing they probably would have liked to be doing a number of other things at the age of 22...so here's to shaking off 2010, bring it 2011, you are fab.

Last year I made did a post about what each month brought over the year, so I figured I would do the same for this year.
January brought a cancelled trip to barbados due to more IV meds, and a disappointed and sad Hattie and Nicole...we never got our bajan dance or rum punches on the beach. 2012 here we come. (it's nice I can write that with confidence that it will happen. Thank you donor)

February brought still numerous amounts of IV meds. February also brought Eva's good bye video as her new lungs failed her....rest in peace and breathe easy my girl...

March brought a picc line being pulled, salsa dancing, and another re insertion of a picc (yes the salsa night was worth it!) March also brought about the idea of a fashion show fundraiser to raise funds for CF....little did I know what a roller coaster ride we were about to embark on with this idea!

April brought a new time low. I developed lung envy for the first time in my life.
I also asked to be hospitalized. I usually did my course of IV meds at home with the help of the fam jam and home care nursing, but after 22 years...CF took one for the team, 1 point CF...I was tired and needed a break, My personality was gone, and all my effort and energy and life was consumed by just trying to take that one simple breath.
In to the hospital I went...and never really came out. It did bring new nurses and physiotherapists in to my life, that I will cherish forever. Hospital care workers are amazing.

In May I got a fortune cookie while in hospital and out for dinner, that said "Don't give up, the best is yet to come".....could not be more true. May was another month where friends visited me in my hospital "suite" I think I had the best room on the ward! May was a busy time for the CFforCF fashion show. Kim and me would set up shop on my hospital bed, long after I would crank up my oxygen and re arrange the tubing around the piles of paper work and computers getting ready for the fundraiser.
May was the month I signed the dotted line. My hands were shaking...but I made sure the surgeons were not haha I was officially listed for some brand new organs.

June brought a hard month, a long month. A month in and out of hospital. A month I wasn't sure how much more I could endure and my spirits were tested and pushed to the extreme. June brought my mom's birthday celebration in a hospital bedroom, as we all sat around on milk crates and pillows on the hospital floor. Grandma B even made us cake and we ate it in the dark little room with the sound of the IV machine beeping as our background music.
June brought fear, and worry for the unknown. June brought about my mom sleeping on a cot at the foot of my hospital bed, as we waited for my pager to go off.

July brought me new life and the beginning of the hardest journey I will ever endure.
July 5th I woke up to my new lungs ready for me.
July brought hardships and trials and tribulations that I cannot quite explain or describe to any other human.

August brought tears of happiness as I was released from hospital, but still on a strenuous, horrendous and terrifying road that I prayed and hoped would end and hopefully get better as I was told it was suppose to. August brought tears from the simple act of a shower. Thanks JM.
August brought the fashion show. The goal 30 plus amazing and superior young women had worked towards for months.

September brought a new condo and the beginnings of hard physio work to get back all the strength I had lost.

October brought a CF aftershock party, and my favourite time of year, Halloween. October brought me out of my medicine induced fog brain, and the beginnings of enjoying this gift that I had been given.

November brought concerts, live music, and feeding my soul after being starved for a year of things in life that I love so much.

December brought me a surprise 23rd birthday, (the most greatest time ever) and the reconfirmation that I have the best friends in the world.
December brought me my family, the smell of Christmas, a hike in the snow, the gift of deep breath, and the hope of a new year, a better year, a great year.

5 comments:

Norma Thompson said...

Happy New Decade, Hattie. You may want to start a new career as a motivational speaker. You have demonstrated such strength, and are a model to everyone. I am volunteering to be your public relations coordinator right now. When can we get started????

Sherri said...

What a year you've had! Your best is truly yet to come.

Seansjeep said...

Happy New Year Hattie, you sure had a very challenging past year. but now you'll have the best years to come!

Caroline Irvine said...

Like.

Natalia Ritchie said...

woot woot!!

Love it!

and it only gets better from here :)